What are Salicylic Acid Peels?
Salicylic acid is a type of Beta Hydroxy Acid derived from willow bark, which is found in some fruits and vegetables such as strawberries and tomatoes.
Like glycolic acid it works by breaking the bonds between cells on the outer dermis, so old and dead cells can be lifted away. However, treatments with salicylic peels often show better results than water based glycolic peels since BHA is lipid soluble. Neutrogena products with Salicylic Acid you can buy Here
This means that salicylic acid is more effective at penetrating oily skin thus breaking down the excessive amount of fatty substances (sebum) which is the main responsible for clogged pores. Buy at Amazon – Here
If you want to know how to cure acne fast,
watch this video about effective acne treatment.
If you are looking for a skin peel to treat oily, acne prone skin, salicylic acid will likely work well for your treatment.
Salicylic acid is a popular ingredient in many over-the-counter products aimed to treat acne; the usual commercial concentration for home treatments moves between 0.05% and 5%. Though, some persons may notice improvements in cases of mild acne or occasional breakouts, severe skin conditions typically require much higher concentrations of the active component.
Professionals are commonly using concentrations of 10% for light to medium strength, and 20% – 30% concentrates for deep facial peels.
Since salicylic acid is able to penetrate the dermis much better than glycolic acid, BHA peels are often used instead of a higher concentrated AHA peel, because you gain the additional benefit of a deep pore cleansing with the very same treatment.
Benefits of Salicylic Acid Peels
- Exfoliation – While lower concentrations are fairly ineffective as a defoliant, stronger solutions will resurface your skin by dissolving the damaged top layer of the epidermis to reveal the smoother, healthier skin underneath. Some patients find that salicylic acid peels work better than glycolic peels for exfoliation since it penetrates much deeper into the dermis.
- Improves skin’s texture and clarity and rejuvenates dull, tired complexions
- Diminishes sun damage and lightens the appearance of pigmentation on age spots
- Reduces the appearance of acne and acne scars. Salicylic acid peels and cream are among the best treatments to diminish blemished, acne prone skin, including blackheads and whiteheads.
- Balanced sebum production and improves oily skin
- Unclogs pores and diminishes the appearance of enlarged pores
- Diminishes fine lines and wrinkles
- Treats psoriasis
- Helps against ingrown hairs
- Improves uneven skin tone
- Little or no downtime
How the Peel Works
To start with, your face has to be prepared and cleansed. Then the peel chemicals are applied on your skin. It will likely feel warm and a stinging sensation may be present while your skin is turning red. The agent will be left on your skin between 10 and 25 minutes, depending on the concentration which is based on the conditions treated. A typical salicylic acid peel used by a professional will have a 30% concentration. Because of its very limited immediate side effects (skin redness) and short treatment time, salicylic acid peels are commonly known as the “lunchtime peel” too.